- In 1847, seven Jesuit priests came to 新奥尔良 with the hope of opening a Jesuit institution for higher-learning, 1884年, Father O’Shanahan learned that a large plantation across from the park was available. He bought the land for $75,500, determined to establish the institution that the priests dreamed of.
- In 1904, Loyola College opened its doors.
- Loyola’s enrollment numbers grew quickly, and the college had to expand to accommodate them. In 1907, the Marquette Association for Higher Education was established, 和1910年, this group was responsible for the building of Marquette Hall, the centerpiece of Loyola’s campus horseshoe.
- 7月10日, 1912, the governor signed the act authorizing to change Loyola College to Loyola University.
- Thomas Hall, a residence for the fathers, was dedicated in 1912.
- The School of 法律 was established in 1914.
- The 新奥尔良 Conservatory of Music and Dramatic Art was founded in 1919. It was incorporated into Loyola University in 1932 as the College of Music.
- In 1947, the Department of Commerce expanded into the full-fledged 商学院 Administration.
- In 1964, Loyola completed major physical plant expansion with the dedication of three new buildings: a 404-student residence hall, 大学中心, and a central heating/cooling plant.
- In 1967, Buddig Hall, a 412-student women’s residence, was dedicated.
- In 1986, a 115-000-square-foot Communications/Music Building was dedicated.
- The six-level Recreational Sports Complex was dedicated in February 1988.
- In 1993, Loyola purchased Mercy Academy, which now houses the Office of 人力资源, the Office of 国际 学生事务, 和物理设备.
- In 1996, Loyola officially changed its name to Loyola University 新奥尔良 to distinguish itself from other Jesuit institutions with similar names.
- The 150,000-square-foot J. 埃德加和露易丝. Monroe 图书馆 opened its doors in January 1999.
- In 2007, the 法学院 opened its Wendell H. 安妮·B. 高捷家族翼.
- In 2011, the university completed a renovation and expansion of Thomas Hall to include 招生, 财务处, 学生记录, Student Finance and 金融援助.
- The 法学院 expanded its reach in 2011 with the renovation of the former Dominican Conference Center. It now houses the Stuart H. Smith 法律 Clinic and Center for Social Justice.
The campus of Loyola continues to expand physically while becoming more involved in improving both the city of 新奥尔良 and the State of Louisiana through its commitment to ministry and education.
Loyola University 新奥尔良 is one of 28 Jesuit colleges and universities in the United States. It is open to students of all faiths.